orangerotor.com

orangerotor.com
orangerotor.com

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Found a potential cherry...

In my previous post, I was mentioning about finding a bracelet with integrated magnetic compass. I was saying that the compass completes the watch. It will be my everyday, and traveling watch. 
 
Well. I think I may have to scrap the idea. It turns out that the bracelet (metal) may affect the reading of the compass. It's true. At least it's true for the bracelet of my Citizen Promaster. When testing using a handheld compass, the needle moves when the bracelet is close to the compass.  
 
Later on, a kind fellow forumer suggested this:
 
 
It is a small compass (about 30mm wide) that clips onto a watch strap. Some stores sell it together with its own velcro. Based on the description of this compass, it is no toy. It is 'jeweled'. I expect it to be useful at least for navigating in a city. I travel quite often and having a compass is handy in a foreign city.
 
Clipping it onto the bracelet will not be an option. The bracelet is too thick and the metal of the bracelet will affect reading. I would think that I will need to replace the bracelet with plastic, velcro, or other non-metal strap for this solution to work. I think this is viable. Too bad I would have to put aside the beautiful bracelet though.
 
 

No comments: