orangerotor.com

orangerotor.com
orangerotor.com

Monday, July 23, 2007

Omega Speedmaster Professional








My most expensive purchase to date. I was having a hard time deciding between the Seamaster (Bond watch) and Aqua Terra. Both of these watches have mechanical and quartz versions. I was more inclined towards the quartz version because of the low maintenance and convenience. After much consideration, I decided to get the mechanical version because I wanted something I can pass down to somebody. A mechanical watch will be more suitable in that sense.

Between the Seamaster and Aqua Terra, I eventually made up my mind that the Seamaster is too high profile. It is too pretty and will caught people's attention. I prefer to maintain a lower profile. The simplicity and sublime character of the Aqua Terra is more suitable for me in that sense. I also like the sea serpent tail like hand a great deal. I was going to get the black dial version but the local dealers are running out of stock.

While I search high and low for the black dial Aqua Terra, I start to read more about the Speedmaster. I wasn't very interested in the look of this watch so I did not pay much attention to it at first. Besides, I am not too keen on a chronograph. I have played with a Swatch chronograph before and I find the chronograph is more for aesthetic rather than function. It is hard to read the chronograph.

However, as I start to read more about the Speedmaster, I get more interested. It has a hand-wind movement, much to my surprise. I always thought it is an automatic (there are automatic Speedmasters but I am talking about the moon watch) but it is not. This kind of fit my wish because I am not always wearing the same watch. Having a hand wind movement allows me to wind it when I am not wearing it. I also start to develop liking for the dial. This is perhaps one of the most easy to read chronograph. The long hands and the stark contrast between the white hands and black dial makes reading the time a breeze.

I finally made the plunge and purchase this watch. I bought it new. It is very expensive to me but I guess if I wear it long enough then it will be worth it. The Speedmaster has been known to be rugged. After owning it for a few months I think the movement is very accurate by my standard. I can only compare it to other cheaper automatics that I own. So, maybe this is the norm for a watch of its class. True enough, there are already some small scratches on the hesalite crystal. That is to be expected. The bracelet is very comfortable to wear. It does not pull hairs like my Citizen. The chronograph is also very clear and functional as compared to the quartz Swatch that I tried. The start/stop, and reset pusher have a very firm and confident click.

All in all, I think the Speedmaster deliver on what it promises.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, saw you purchased a Citizen JS104558E watch, and at some point you wrote a post at http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=27024

Are you happy with the watch ? I have the chance topurchase one, but I'm still undecided.

thanks,

daniel said...

Ya. So far I am happy with the watch. I have been wearing it for swimming. There is no problem with the water proofing.

I don't think I need to comment on the accuracy because it is a given, since it is quartz.

The crystal even though not sapphire but it has no scratch at all. I have been having it for about a year and wear it quite often.

My only criticism is the bracelet. It is a hair puller. After a while I don't feel it anymore. The other criticism about the bracelet is if you look from the side, you can see the layers of folding of each link of the bracelet. Of course, it can be argued that given the low price of the watch, it would be unreasonable for me to ask for more.

I have tried on a black silicon strap (like the Oris diver strap) and it looks nice.